Saturday, November 26, 2011

Wrapper 28: Egg rolls and math books

73. Benjamin R., Lakeview, NC

How do you make an egg roll?


Take a wrapper and it fill it with sliced vegetables or a meat of your choice?

73. Push it.

My fake response was for what the setup clearly wants you to think - that instructions for making egg rolls, the well-known Asian appetizer, are being sought. But I don't know. I don't think in this country you can quite assume that everyone is going to go right to that. I fully anticipated the punchline would involve actually rolling an egg, and so it did. And of course it was incredibly unfunny. Really the only way this joke is going to work is by asking someone who is guaranteed to think you're asking about food. I could, for instance, ask my mother-in-law, who cooks egg rolls all the time. But I think the punchline loses its impact after several minutes of cooking instructions.

74. Chrissy B., New Iberia, LA

What did the math book tell the pencil?


Don't mark me up? I don't know.

74. I have a lot of problems.

Okay, I guess that's not terrible, although it's not clear to me why the math book needed to tell the pencil that. Why wouldn't it be telling, say, the student?

Another sustained run of banana is beginning. Maybe I should have had these alternate by flavor instead of sorting them by number? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment