Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Wrapper 31: Cats and (hot) dogs

135. David S., Newburgh Hts., OH

Where do very smart hot dogs end up?


In your stomach, just like the dumb ones.

135. On honor rolls!

I mean, why would you go with hot dogs here? I hear "hot dog," I think "bun," not "roll." There's even that expression, "Just call me butter 'cause I'm on a roll" - why not go with "smart butter" instead? That would at least be a little clever instead of just confusing.

136. Matthew J., Dayton, OH

The Ohio mafia, taking over this wrapper.

What is a cat's favorite thing to read?

Like... the mewspaper? Please tell me that's not it.

136. A catalog.

That might actually be worse. I would much rather the punchline be cat-related than to have it just be a word that starts with cat. Because that's really the same as reusing the subject or object from your setup in the punchline. It's lame. "Mewspaper" is totally bad, I admit, but at least it tries. "Catalog" just smacks of giving up. And seriously, even if cats could read, do you think they would pick their reading material based on if the name had "cat" somewhere in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment